Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why I like box wine

OK, so this post isn't really about why I like box wine, which, as it happens, I do. Yes a terrible admission, but there you go. You can get some pretty decent stuff, especially some of the South African wines. I find it far easier to stick to just one glass, and it also saves me the frustration of trying to reach my husband when he is travelling to find out if the bottle I am about to open to enjoy while watching America's Next Top Model will jeopardise the future of our marriage.

I was in Starbucks yesterday afternoon and there were a lot of teen and tween kids in there excitedly planning their weekends. I remember that time well. Talking about who's having a house party, what you are going to wear, if a certain boy will be there, and how you are going to act really cool while still appearing vaguely interested. If your spot cream will miraculously work in 5 hours, and whether or not your parents will notice that you are wearing makeup before leaving the house etc.

I mused on these long ago memories while juggling other more pressing thoughts such as, will I make steak for dinner? Should I get some mushrooms and salad to go with those? Are mushrooms carbs? Will we watch an episode of the American Office, or should we eat at the table like adults with civilised conversation? Yep, that's Friday nights these days.

I had a cell repair facial today. You know you are getting to a certain age when your beautician starts recommending those. She asked me if I would like her to apply the nourishing mask (thick cold stuff that had the consistency of Plaster Of Paris) to my eyes too. I was like, yeah sure, go ahead. Until she stared that is. It felt like there was an enormous weight on my eyelids and then she told me I could not open them. Cue mini panic attack. Amazing, I had no idea you could get claustrophobic just from having your eyes covered and being unable to open them. I took a few deep breaths, and she, lovely woman that she is, said, 'Just relax, I am here. I'm not going to leave the room, and let me know if you want me to take it off.' And it was cool. Soon we were talking about thyroid problems, taxes and insurance on small businesses in Poland, and Chernobyl. Relaxing stuff.

It reminded me of when I had an epidural for my C-section. You get completely numb from the waist down and your first reaction it to have an overwhelming urge to move your legs or wiggle your toes, and of course you find you cannot. It messes with your head something bad, until you tell yourself, 'OK, this is fine, this is OK, this will wear off.' Kind of like talking yourself down from a bad trip. Not that I would know.

I'm watching 'America's Next Top Model Cycle 10', and they have Paulina Porizkova as a guest judge. I'm surprised Tyra made that decision, because I get the feeling that it's all about Tyra and Tyra don't like no one messing with that shit. Especially someone like Paulina who is quite breathtakingly beautiful, intelligent and articulate, and a good addition to the show I think, unlike Twiggy, bless her, who was a bit of a wet blanket. But, and this is a big but, Paulina doesn't have a lot of tact. In fact, I think some of her comments are outrageously rude and inappropriate. On a couple of occasions she has made comments to one of the Polish/American contestants about not looking like a Russian Mail Order Bride, and Eastern European trashiness.

It reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where a guy converts to Judaism and then feels he's entitled to make bad Jewish jokes. Only in Paulina's case she is Eastern European by birth, and therefore appears to think it's OK to spout these horrible stereotypes. It's rude and it's wrong, and I'm amazed they didn't cut it out. Tyra was probably too concerned with how fierce! she looked in the shots to notice.

And finally, just when you think the US courts are up their eyeballs in stupid waste of time cases, a rare and worthy one comes along. According to Michael on Dlisted:

Today on one of my favorite serious legal shows "Judge Alex" they had a case about something that is near and dear to me: eyebrows! Sharon Rivers was suing Joy Tran for emotional distress for f***ing up her eyebrows. Sharon paid Joy $180 to tattoo some "dreamy" eyebrows on her beautiful face. But Sharon claims Joy f***ed it up by making them purple and lopsided. (Continue reading. There's even a You Tube clip!)

1 comment:

Sindhu said...

I happened to wander over to your blog - found this entry interesting. You talked about a variety of topics in just one post. :) I like your writing style - it makes it easier to read because the words just seem to flow from one to another naturally.

I found your blog when googling LSJ (London School of Journalism). I'm not sure if you're attending a course there or anything, but I am curious to know? :)