Monday, June 02, 2008

Auto-Eroticicism

I've been a bit slack on the posting side, I know. The most exciting thing I've come across in the last week is an article about a man that has sex with his car. Enough said. I'm also totally knackered in the evenings having spent 12 hours entertaining a small person. Don't be fooled by their size - babies are tough bosses to work for.

We've been house hunting for a couple of months now, and an alarming number of properties we viewed are being sold because the couples are divorcing. I know, what with stats and all, that this shouldn't surprise me. And it's probably better that they are selling for that reason rather than, say, a secret rat infestation or ghost. But still, it's kind of sad and disconcerting in a bad karmaesque way for a couple such as ourselves that are looking for a family home.

You walk around these houses and there's all these wedding photos and pictures of kids, showing once happier times. Then you open the closet and see there's only a man's clothes in there. Or, in some of the houses, there are no family photos at all, as though the past has been deliberately erased, or is perhaps too painful to have in plain view.

One house had the word 'ring' etched into the glass of the dresser mirror in the main bedroom. I imagined the woman scratching that in with the diamond of her engagement ring, before packing her bags and leaving her cheating husband in a dramatic flurry. Yes, it could have been the other way round, but that's the version I prefer - a lot more cinematic.

Julia is two weeks shy of being six months. On the one hand these past months have felt like a jam-packed sleep deprived eternity, and on the other its as though they have joyfully flitted by in the blink of an eye.

When people, specifically couples who are thinking of procreating, ask me what having a baby is like, I tell them it's great. Because to tell people, specifically a broody woman, that it's a tough job and not for the faint hearted, is like telling kids not to eat the cookies in a jar you've placed in front of them. You know they're going to do it anyway, and so they should. Who ever said that the good stuff came easy? Oh yes, and I tell them to hire help - as much as money can buy.

So yeah, it's tough, but it's also lovely. I think to get the most out of the experience you have to totally gear down, employ the patience of Jesus, and just forget about time constraints, getting decent sleep, your personal appearance, and having a tidy house. As my American neighbor wisely advised me, 'Imagine life through the eyes of your child and live the experience with them."

Wise words indeed.

No comments: