Wednesday, October 10, 2007

So is it or isn't it safe to drink while pregnant?

According to the Daily Mail:

Pregnant women can drink a small glass of wine every day safely, according to new official guidance. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence reignited the debate over consuming alcohol while pregnant by saying that drinking no more than 1.5 units does not harm unborn babies. Its official advice contradicts the Department of Health, which this year told pregnant women not to drink at all. Continue reading.

This is just one example of a myriad of conflicting information you are given as a pregnant woman, and the list is a very very long one. I've been told not to eat shellfish, then I saw a health pamphlet saying I can as long as it's cooked. Then someone told me not to eat peanuts, but another study said it was good to eat them so your unborn child doesn't develop nut allergies. Then there's the whole thing about not sleeping on your back, and yet another study saying actually it's OK to.

Confused? Welcome to my world.

I had very bad morning sickness - 10 weeks of projectile vomiting, and a myriad of foods that I couldn't stand the smell or taste of. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, alcohol was one of them. Since then I've just stayed away from it because I haven't really had an overwhelming desire for it, and if I had had one, chances are I would have stayed away from it anyway.

You see, I fall into the category of pregnant woman that is quite simply known as: paranoid. There are probably a host of things that are completely fine to eat or drink, but if I hear just one possible negative thing about them, I avoid. My, perhaps misguided, thinking on this is that it's 9-10 months of my life to do without these things and give the life I'm carrying the best possible chance. If it turns out there was no reason to worry, then fine, but if the risks are proved valid, I'm covered.

Saying all of this, things like damaged sperm, or genetics can lead to problems that have nothing at all to do with what you eat or do during pregnancy. And in some cases you can do absolutely everything by the book and still have complications. It's certainly not an exact science, and you can only do so much and hope for the best.

Click here for a humorous and informative article that details the constant conflicting bits of information women are given during pregnancy, and which explores the validity of some of those 'stay away from!' claims.

Photo and source: Daily Mail

No comments: