Monday, June 25, 2007

Another goodbye

My grandmother passed away yesterday morning. Not a lot of people have grandparents still alive at my age, so I suppose I was lucky to have her that long and should be grateful for that. My grandmother was a big part of my siblings and my life, primarily I think because she was such a big part of my mothers life, and I guess you can say we are a close family.

I for one am feeling out of sorts. She has been such an intrinsic part of my life for so long, and had a profound influence on my upbringing (sometimes not entirely welcomed thanks to her strong opinions and at times sharp tongue), that it feels weird being in a world that she no longer inhabits.

She was very ill, a lot more unwell than I think any of us realised. I was lucky enough to talk to her on Monday last week - accidentally as it happens, because she answered the phone (which she never does) when I called to speak to my mom for her birthday. For once she didn't break my balls about my weight - her initial reaction to my pregnancy a couple of months ago being: "Tell Lucille not to put on too much weight!", and we had a good catch-up. She sounded tired and raspy but otherwise in good spirits. I told her to get better soon so she would be up to a visit from me in September, and then to meet my baby next year.

I keep trying to write about her, and end up in tears, so I think it's perhaps a bit too early for me to talk about this.

Rest in peace Bobo. Love you and miss you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to learn of the passing-away of your grandmother. Please accept my sincere condolences.
Ans x

letters from london said...

Thank you Ans. That means a great deal to me x

Giles said...

Deepest condolences.

letters from london said...

Thanks Giles.