Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Madeleine McCann


Firstly, apologies for the long delays between blogs recently. I've not been very well, but please check back from time to time and hopefully as my health improves I'll write a bit more regularly.

Right, I know this is a very delicate issue, and right now the priority for everyone concerned is not to allocate blame, but to find
Madeleine McCann, the little three-year-old girl that was abducted recently in Portugal.

Having just familiarised myself with this story though, is it just me, or was anyone else puzzled as to how two parents could leave a three-year-old and her two-year-old twin siblings alone in a holiday apartment while going out for dinner?

I know the parents claim the restaurant was nearby and they checked in on the children every half an hour, but I still find it hard to believe that any parent would leave children as young as that totally unsupervised for any amount of time.

Even if you live in the most peaceful place on the planet where nothing ever happens and you can sleep with your back door open, surely there are risks such as a child choking in bed at night, or even just waking up from a bad dream and needing a drink of water or reassurance from a parent?

There is no excuse whatsoever for abducting children, and it sickens me to think that we live in a world where this even has to be a concern for anyone. And god knows children are sometimes stolen from playgrounds and supermarkets when parents are right there and their backs are turned even for a milli-second. But in this case, I think it really does or at least should be a reminder that small children should not be left alone like this - especially in unfamiliar surroundings. And even if it means paying a sitter to watch them sleep, at least it's peace of mind.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Photo source

2 comments:

Isabel said...

I think it's no time for blaming parents but... they were to blame!
I'm a mother and grandmother and I woudn't do it any where, special in another country, no matter if it's a safe place or not. Children get scared and can make mistakes.
In Portugal doing that (leaving children alone, unguarded) is a crime! I know! I'm Portuguese!
Thank you for posting a "difficult" subject...

Anonymous said...

McCanns left 3 children under four years of age alone unsupervised and unattended. That was a very irresponsible thing to do, what chances would all three children have stood, if that room caught fire. All three would have died... I think they should be charged with negligence to start with.

McCanns made the world believe that Madeleine was kidnapped, and the police missed out the crucial moments, when they could have gathered some vital clues towards their investigation.