Monday, February 05, 2007

Naked, Wii Bowling, and Scandals


I am re-reading 'Dress your family in corduroy and denim' by David Sedaris, after re-reading 'Naked' (my favourite of his books) by the same author. If you haven't yet discovered his work, please go out and buy or loan one of them and start reading now.

Sedaris is a genius, and without doubt has become my favourite author. His recollections of time as an elf in Macy's 'Santaland', had Robert doubled over, bright red, and crying with laughter to such an extent that I thought he was going to burst something, somewhere. Between all that laughing and crying he managed to plead that if I loved him and cared for his continued health, I had to stop reading aloud, pronto.

My time as the queen of Wii bowling is over I think. I was beaten (unheard of until now) on Friday and Sunday, and now I hang my head in shame. If you have a Wii and don't have the bowling game, do get it - great fun, but highly addictive. Also I should warn you, ensure you have a strong and solid relationship before playing your partner - as I think it rivals Monopoly as far as games most sited for cause of divorce.

I went along with my friend Derya to see 'Notes on a Scandal' last week. Oh my god, Dame Judi Dench is so going to get the Oscar for her role as the uptight spinster. The film was very good, but Dench was exceptional - quite possibly one of the best peformances I've seen in a long time.

Photo of David Sedaris c/o oreal.de

1 comment:

Theo said...

Good movie. Cate Blanchett is great. Judy Dench is always brilliant. Both very versatile performers. I never knew Judy Dench could do comedy until I started watching this old British sitcom called "As Time Goes By" on American public television. She can actually be quite funny!