Saturday, January 27, 2007

When I grow up I want to be

Sometimes you can be almost 32-years-old, and you watch a movie, and you're like: ' I want to be that person when I grow up.' And if you're honest with yourself, you'll realise that the chances of that happening are pretty slim. For me, most days, it's Linda Hamilton from Terminator II - the inspiration for the new banner.

I really really want to be her. Not so much the whole aggressive, paranoid, convinced that the world is going to be imminently destroyed by the machines part. Nor for that matter, how she escapes from a mental asylum by injecting a syringe full of cleaning fluid into the neck of an orderly. Rather it's more to do with her single minded determination - I mean, that body for one thing is amazing. That's a lot of pull-ups on the conveniently placed bar in your asylum quarters. Then there's the whole stockpile of weapons in Mexico - that must have taken her some time to put together.

Also, in the film, she's a smoker, a woman of few words, and can beat the crap out of just about anyone. I admire these qualities, mostly because I am none of these things. Most recently I have quit the fags in the hopes that I won't suffer massive withdrawal when I really have to stop, i.e. if and when I get pregnant, and I'll be honest, sometimes I really miss it. It's not so much that I enjoy smoking, as I like the idea of it. I have also always and still do talk too much, and I can't beat the crap out of anyone.

Tonight we watched High Fidelity, which (name drop time) my sister Mags was first assistant editor on, and which I'm very proud of. It's one of my all-time favourite films. Lisa Bonet is just so damn cool in it, cool and bohemian. There's just no way a hygiene-obsessed person such as myself could have dreads, nor for that matter, live a proper bohemian lifestyle. Somehow, I just don't see Lisa Bonet with Flash Wipes in her bathroom, just in case the Flash spray doesn't do a proper job and you need to do touch-ups. She's also incredibly beautiful, and age has only made her more so.

Then there's Angelica Houston, who is the woman I want to be now and when I get older. Naturally all of this is based on pure projection on my part. She radiates intelligence, sex appeal, and regalness, and looks like she's got that inner power thing going. She also
appears comfortable in her skin, and I imagine she doesn't give a shit about whether or not she does 200 pull-ups a day, having the occasional cigarette, or if other people approve of her. Funny that.

Photo: Bill Murray and Anjelica Huston in the incomparable Steve Zissou and the life aquatic c/o yahoo movies.

No comments: