Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Smooth Operator

In my bid to get healthy this year (lets not go into the half pack of Korean Marlboro Lights and bottle of champagne from the other night), I've decided to follow a sort of Gillian McKeith/Patrick Holford way of eating.

Unlike an aunt of mine who can eat a box of mango's in a single sitting, I'm not really big on the mass fruit and even veg consumption. But McKeith bangs on about smoothies, which looks like a good way of getting a variety of fruit in without resembling a monkey.

I decided to make one for breakfast this morning, using our regular food blender - the kind you bought back in the 80's to crush ice and make Pina Coladas.

Ingredients:
1 x mango
A handful of regular-sized strawberries (approx 5-8)
2 medium-sized bananas
Approx 100ml of fresh orange juice (to make it less thick)

All of this was just my own recipe and it landed up being exactly a pint of smoothie, and the taste is pretty damn good if I say so myself. I think the trick is to buy your fruit from a vendor, so you can check that it's ripe, or get the perfectly ripe range from places like M&S or Waitrose. Also, use bananas that you normally wouldn't buy because they look a bit beaten up - these are nice and soft, and won't give the smoothie a bitter taste.

I think it's a good way to start the day because it's not particularly heavy on the stomach, and provides your body with a vitamin and fibre-filled kick start. And later, when you have your 5th coffee and second Twix, you won't feel quite so guilty.

1 comment:

Mags said...

Sounds delicious, but watch out - full of sugar and loads of calories. Healthy yes, slimming no.