Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The sin of impatience

Look how little Harry Potter has grown up! This is Daniel Radcliffe in the London stage production of Equus. More pics on Dlisted.

I haven't posted for a while because I've actually been busy working - yep, it's true. I was inspired to work even harder after I wrote out one of the biggest cheques of my life and handed it over to the tax man. Bloody tax. I don't have a problem with the idea of it - I mean, it goes towards necessary things like healthcare, schooling, new roads, and Cherie Blair's hairdresser. What pisses me off about tax are things like stamp duty - which is what you pay when you buy a house. Yes, because buying a house in London these days is so inexpensive that you don't mind a whopping 5% on top of that to hand over to the tax man for no good reason at all. And then there's inheritance tax. Yes, it makes perfect sense to pay tax your entire life on every cent that you touch, and then let the government take another cut off of what's left at the end of it. Bastards.

As for my own tax bill, it wasn't actually that bad in the greater scheme of things - it's just that as I'm self-employed I don't get taxed each month, and I should have put money away as though I was in provision for my bill at the end of the tax year. That way it wouldn't feel quite so bad. Anyway, lessons learnt and all that.

The house hunting continues in earnest, and I can only say thank god Robert is level-headed. I love and want to buy every house we see, and then the next day we see something that's even better suited to our needs and I'm like, phew, thank god we waited. It's called the sin of impatience, coupled with an overly-romantasized view of things. Matters are not helped by the fact that there aren't a lot of houses on the market at the moment, and it's a competitive playing field, so even if you make an offer, chances are that someone else can come along and top it.

But one has to stay relaxed and focused and not let these things influence your decision. My friend Lowri, who is a home-owner herself, suggests getting a house that is less than perfect in a good location. She reckons you can always fix it up to your needs and tastes over time, but you can't fix a bad neighbourhood as easily. Good point.

And in the news, apparently Jade Goody has checked into rehab. Rehab is the bandaid for the celebrity here in London. Get nicked for driving too fast? Go into rehab. Old nudey shots of you come out in the press? Go into rehab. Become the nation's hate figure because you are an ignorant bully and your career is going down the toilet as a result? Go into rehab.

Going into rehab shows that you are not only sorry for what you have done, but that you are genuinely committed to generating as much pity from the public as possible. And in a country that loves to knock people down as much as it loves to pick them up, this is a very effective PR move. The more returns to rehab, the more interviews with magazines, the more you get back into the public eye. It's a win-win situation. Those PR gurus certainly know what they're doing.

Photo c/o Dlisted.

No comments: