Monday, January 22, 2007

Monday morning yada

On what occasion do you lie?
"First, let me disarm that loaded question. I know how easy it is for one to stay well within moral, ethical, and legal bounds through the skillful use of words - and to thereby spin, sidestep, circumvent, or bend a truth completely out of shape. To that extent, we are all liars on numerous occasions." Sidney Poitier being interviewed by Vanity Fair magazine. February 2007
Another shitty weathered Monday. However this winter the days have a tendency to clear up and by afternoon are gorgeous sunny blue-skied ones. Perfect for a brisk walk to Starbucks, or through Holland Park, barring days with the gale force winds that is. Has anyone been to Holland Park? I suspect most Londoners have, except Robert and I till recently that is.

Wow, it's a beautiful place, and we discovered the Japanese-themed Kyoto garden. If you want to reenact a Samurai sword fight, go eat a sandwhich and reflect, or take some photos with a Japanese feel, I'd highly recommend it. One of the beauties of London is that you can live here your whole life, and still keep discovering new and strange places that feel like a different world.

I've been really slack with my movie going lately, and there are loads of films I want to see this year, including, 'Notes on a scandal' with Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. I read the book a couple of Christmas's ago - disturbing, yet thoroughly compelling. Then there's the (second) Capote flick - 'Infamous' which I'd like to catch too. I'm drawn by the fact that it covers not just the 'In Cold Blood' trial, but a bit more about Capote's life and his relationship with The Swans.

I've stopped drinking until my birthday party because all this New Years catching up business is playing havoc with my weight. The next thing I want to do is get back into the gym, and try and do a half an hour of cardio three times a week, and perhaps take in a class. I've just become so inactive, and am feeling the ill effects as a result.

Robert and I have slowly started looking for a house, and by slowly I mean there's no big rush. We want to find the right place - and more so a place that we can live in for the next 20 years or so and raise a family in. I have a friend who moves into places, redecorates them, and then moves onto the next challenge in a year or two. They make good money out of it, but it doesn't appeal to me in the least. I find the whole house moving business extremely stressful, and I imagine it's incredibly disruptive if you have children. I understand that sometimes this isn't a choice, but given the choice, I quite like the idea of setting down roots in one place.

Our house hunting at this stage involves visiting areas we are interested in, and walking around checking out amenities, schools, if there is a local Starbucks - that sort of vital stuff. The trick, as all our friends are fond of warning us, is to make sure you view a good variety of properties before falling in love with any specific one, which is easier said than done. It's funny how the mind works - and as soon as you see a place you're visualising how you'd do it up, where to put the cat flap, and where the children will put their dirty shoes when they come in the house.

Ultimately though, I think any place you look at is going to need something doing to it at some point to customise it to your needs - and that's also something to take into account when budgeting. People's tastes are also varied, and there's inevitably the occasional avocado bathroom or ye-oldy-cottage wallpaper that will need changing. In fact, unless you are getting a house that has recently been re-done or is being sold by developers, chances are the kitchen and bathrooms will need re-doing at some point, or at least that's our experience of the places we have viewed so far.

On a closing note, I am totally addicted to online backgammon, and specifically playing other online players. Follow the link, wait a minute as the promotional screen does go off of it's on accord, and then click on the 'join any open game' link. Great fun, no money involved (gambling terrifies me), and especially good if your husband refuses to play with you.

No comments: