Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Seven of Swords

Last night Robert and I went to a Home House party with a 'From Russia with Love' theme. It was unclear if this meant one had to dress as (a) A character from this specific Bond film (b) A character from any Bond film (C) In Russian dress.

I left things to the last minute (no surprises there), and out of the existing weird shit I have in my closet, pulled together a flamboyant 70's evening dress with head-scarf and went as Solitaire, from the 'Live and let die' film with Jane Seymour playing the Tarot-reading Solitaire. Robert went in a tux as a, in his words, "Ginga Bond."

After cutting my hair into a short-bob I didn't have enough of it to tease into a large back-combed bouffant the likes of which Seymour sported in the film, but I thought that with enough dramatic makeup (she wore a lot of silver eyeshadow) and the head scarf thingy I could just about pull it off. It would probably be better if I took a pack of my old Tarot cards with - but could I be bothered with carrying them around all evening? Probably not. Actually, no, I wasn't going to take them.

As we left the house and were waking along the street outside our building, I noticed a card lying face down on the pavement. It was a bit longish to be a regular playing card, and when I stopped to turn it over, what did I find but a Tarot card. What are the chances of going to a party as a tarot reader and then finding a tarot card on a central London street? Weird. Robert was just as amazed at me, but likes to play Scully to my Mulder and was determined to act cool - but I knew he was as impressed at the coincidence as I was.

Well, it turns out, that the theme was actually more along the lines of Russian, than Bond - and I felt like a bit of an eejit. I guess I could have passed for a well-dressed Russian peasant/gypsy with a penchant for heavy eyeliner, but even that was pushing it. Fortunately there were quite a few women in evening dresses a la Bond femme fatals, and even some dressed as Russian prostitutes, though Ronnie warned me that some of these ladies were probably not in any sort of fancy dress, and I shouldn't be in any rush to congratulate them on their cleverness.

A good party - thanks to Derya and Patrick for the invite. Unfortunately we had to leave a bit earlier than I would have liked as I'm still not 100% in the health stakes.

As a matter of interest, I looked up the meaning of the card I found on the street, and put it this way - it's not exactly fun fun fun. There are two ways of reading a Tarot card - if you turn it over and it is facing you - it is dignified, if it is turned away from you it is Ill-Dignified. I can't honestly remember what position it was in because I wasn't exactly in a formal reading here - I just turned the thing over on the street, so here are both meanings:

Dignified: The general feeling of the Seven of Swords is that of being overburdened. The Seven represents someone who has taken on more then they can handle and eventually something will have to give. Being overburdened can bring feelings of worry, exhaustion, and unnecessary stress. The Seven of Swords can also signify feelings of being frenzied and strong feelings of having to get things done in a limited amount of time. Essentially the Seven of Swords represents someone who has taken on more then they can chew and if they don't slow down and start to take things one step at a time, they run the risk of becoming burned out. Many times the Seven of Swords indicates someone who takes on other people's responsibilities without need. It can be a warning to a mother not to baby her children or it can simply suggest one to allow friends and family to take care of their own problems. Overall the Seven of Swords suggests a need to slow down or else physical and mental problems will start to occur.

Ill-Dignified: In a reversed position the Seven of Swords represents over-reliance on other people to get things done. It represents irresponsibility, laziness, and a total lack of motivation. It can also represent feelings of physical exhaustion. Source

No comments: