Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Make it up

My numerous unsubtle hints to get cosmetic houses to send me free stuff so that I can write reviews, have gone unnoticed. Alas, there are no beautifully-wrapped goodie bags arriving in the post brim-full with lipticks, mascaras, cleansers, body washes etc. These people clearly don't know what they are missing, but it's their loss. I shall continue to write about products regardless, and put it this way - the fact that I have to pay for them means I'm going to be brutally honest. Brutally.

If you haven't flown recently, be warned: Do not take your makeup bag. Tampons and that sort of thing are OK, but anything deemed liquid (mascara, lipgloss, lipstick etc) is a no-no. In the last two months I've had two mascaras, one lipgloss, a Touche Eclat, and a lipstick taken from me. Entirely my own fault for forgetting to pack these things into my hand-luggage, but painful none-the-less. Fortunately these losses resulted in a genuine need for me to replace them. This is not just shopping for the sake of it, this is shopping for a purpose, which is entirely different you see.

I recently acquired the new 'Precleanse' product from Dermalogica. You use it before your cleanser, and it promises to 'melt away' excess sebum, sunscreen, waterproof makeup, environmental pollutants etc. I don't know about anyone else, but the word 'melt away' when combined with 'skin' always makes me nervous. It conjures up images of something chemical and acidic, which isn't a good association if you are trying to sell a cosmetic product.

Also, I feel kind of gyped that I now have to buy a precleanse. Isn't their cleanser up to the whole job? Why do you need two products to essentially do the same thing? Anyway, I tried it out last night, and by the time I came round to cleansing, my skin did feel a lot softer and cleaner. Though this could also have been me imagining things, because it was late, and I was tired, and I had yet another thing to do as part of my evening grooming practice. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and in case you haven't already heard, if you do use Dermalogica and want to pay a lot less for it than you do in the shops, there's a great website called Beauty Flash - and they deliver.

And finally (and totally unrelated), for those of you who are interested, our official wedding photos are back from the photographer, and up on my website. See here.

No comments: