Sunday, September 17, 2006

Back to blogging

I saw some of my girlfriends at Zoë’s hen night last night, and there were a few grumblings about my lack of blogging lately. Come on girls, how many times does a girl go on honeymoon??? OK, don’t answer that.

I'm actually very hungover today, thanks to a brilliant time last night. It was so good seeing all of the girls, and Zoë was an excellent sport about all the naughtiness and nonsense we threw her way. I drank like a maniac, and spent this morning nursing my hangover by eating chocolate chip cookies, cereal, and catching up on recorded episodes of Britain's Next Top Model, while ensconced on the sofa in my dressing gown.

What makes the show so addictive, well, for me that is, is watching the group dynamics unfold between the girls, and admittedly, there’s the bitching, which is morbidly fascinating. Also, I have to say, it makes for an excellent study in how women relate to each other, which is more often than not, badly. Embarrassingly so.

There is one character, Lianna. She's a beautiful girl, but terribly insecure, and moody to boot. She goes around with a long face and blanks people the one minute, and then gets all teary when the girls react angrily at her treatment of them. She doesn't seem to make the connection between how her moods effect people around her. In her view, she's complicated and I guess she just expects people to understand her strops, but the fact of the matter is you can't blow hot and cold with people and not expect them to react. Also, she has an incredibly negative editing device in terms of what people say and what she hears. One of the girls mentioned that a hair and makeup person got annoyed with her because she was talking too much. She turned around and told one of the show's judges that what the girl had said was that no one was interested in anything she had to say. I'm sorry, but there's a world of difference between these two things.

I think a lot of people, especially those of us that are hard on ourselves, do this, and it's a really bad habit. We take something and twist it into a version which reflects our own poor image of ourselves, and it does us no favours.

My favourite is Abi - Peter Crouch's ex (or is it current?) girlfriend. She's bubbly, fun, and full of personality, and she's direct. Although the camera loves her, I'm not sure if she's edgy enough to do editorial work. But she really gets the whole modeling thing, whereas a some of the girls that are still in there (now four), don't. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

There are a ton of things I want to write about including: how much better the Italian over-night trains are compared to the French ones we took, a small review on Capri, as well as how pleased I was to come across a recent photo of Liz Hurly which showed she had cellulite on her bum and legs. This may sound incredibly bitchy, but this is a woman who has had her share of digs about larger women in the past, and once said she'd kill herself if she was as fat as Marilyn Monroe. No-one disses Marilyn and gets away with it dammit.

Also, briefly, because it's already been done by everyone and their uncle, I just wanted to say I was very sad to hear of Steve Irwin's death. Above and beyond the fact that he was a great character and indeed a much loved and valued conservationist, he was also just a vibrant young man with a very young family. It's a great tradgedy.

No comments: