Thursday, August 24, 2006

The chipmunk at the center of the earth

"There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins
I spent yesterday trying to work to a deadline and kept get getting interrupted by things like the phone, emails, and personal disputes. At the end of the day I was ready to pack a small bag and run to the hills screaming, pulling out great tufts of my hair along the way. Sometimes I think I need to simply my life - I feel like an elastic band being stretched way too thin between too many people. It doesn't help that I still have a ton of work to do, and wedding stuff that needs taking care of, not least of all some sort of bust support apparatus so I don't get a black eye walking down the aisle.

By midnight I was sending off the last of that days' notes to my wedding planner - crossing off things on my to do list, and feeling thoroughly fed up with everything. And then I discovered some great quotations from Tom Robbins, who is probably my favourite writer of all time, next to David Sedaris in terms of putting things into perspective and making me laugh.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I think there really is no way of living your life without someone, somewhere, judging you or using your existence as a sort of comparative meter. Unless of course you go and live in a cave somewhere, though I imagine that would involve a lot of cold hard floors and no hot running water, and I doubt they’d deliver my copy of Now! magazine either.

Furthermore, I think email should be banned for most people, and only phone conversations allowed. I am so entirely fed up with the amount of shit that is perpetuated simply because people are reticent to pick up the phone and have a conversation. God knows it would save so many misunderstandings, and indeed relationships.

Anyway - I had a workout with Guy this morning - the first in about five weeks due to his holiday, my illness, and working in Barnes. I was dreading it - absolutely terrified of the lethargic lump my muscles had developed into, but actually it was fine. In fact, it was pretty good, and it felt great being able to work all of yesterday's frustrations out. Poor Guy - I don't think he was prepared for my rage.

2 comments:

Louise said...

haha

Maybe this is what's known as

'pre-wedding stress' !!

letters from london said...

Yes, you'd think that wouldn't you? You'd also think that more people might realise that lobbying crap at a women who is this close to getting married is like waving an arm smothered in barbecue sauce through the bars of a lion's cage.